Friday 13 September 2013

Medway is beautiful

                                     Have you ever heard of Darnet island?

It exists, and its part of the beautiful Medway estuary. It's full of history, a beautiful place and until this year, I hadn't even known it existed.If it weren't for the wonderful Creatabot, I'd be just as ignorant today.

Dave Wise and spent six weeks on the isle of beauty during the summer of 2012, living alone and exploring the island. Most of the legacy there is part of the industrial-military heritage of the area, but the island also housed a pub. And there are owls, and seals, edible plants and how did I not know it was there?

I wonder at my own ignorance, sometimes, about the place where I was born and have spent the majority of my life. How is it possible, that I don't know this place exists?

Habit, for the most part. Ignorance. It's s easy to take the place you live in for granted after all. And all it takes is a shift in perspective to see the beauty again - from a stranger. From someone who has been away. Not much...

No comments:

Post a Comment